Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Worm (Re)Turns

So, just for giggles and a change of pace, I reached way back in my closet tonight, and pulled out #91 -- Dennis Rodman's Chicago Bulls thowback jersey, which I probably bought for under $12 at Ross or Marshalls or one of those places, and don't think I've ever actually worn before in the decade or so that I've owned it. But it was fun to step on the court and try to "channel" the Worm -- crash the boards, play hard-nosed "D," score all my points on offensive rebounds and second-chance buckets.

And you know, it was actually kinda great. I must have scored 13 points tonight: one good three (just to keep things honest), a couple of offensive put-backs, a driving lay-up, another lay-up off a curl, and a slashing finger-roll off a long offensive rebound which surprised EVERYONE (including me). And those are just the ones I remember. Also missed a couple of other looks at threes, a short little jump hook from the left baseline, and three or four five-foot "J's" (which was actually kinda embarassing -- clearly I need to practice those more).

But the real story for me tonight was assists. I made some absolutely AMAZING passes tonight -- giving my guys wide-open looks six-inches from the basket while their defenders were looking the other direction in absolute confusion. Good assist to turnover ratio too -- there were a few times when I couldn't quite find the handle and threw the ball away, but for the most part I had pinpoint control: seeing the whole floor, looking off the defender and then hitting my teammates right in the hands -- threading the needle with just enough pace to beat the defense and just enough touch that the receiver could catch the ball in rhythm and put it in the hole...and it felt fantastic! Simply Fantastic!

Of course, I also had the privilege of hand-picking the guys I played with tonight, and picking guys who also share the ball, move well without it, and aren't afraid to help out on "D." And that felt fantastic too. Even if I was a little more assertive about that than usual. But it all comes from today's fortune cookie: "Better Ignorance on Fire than Knowledge on Ice." Which is to say, Misguided Enthusiasm trumps Wise Passivity every f***ing time. Something we could all use to wise up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home