Sunday, March 18, 2007

Madness Update II

So here's the bad news. While the Harvard Women are getting their asses kicked over on ESPN, my Oregon Ducks are giving upstart Winthrop the spanking they deserve on CBS...but do I get to see a minute of it? OK, to be fair, maybe a few minutes -- a little of the getting acquainted at the very beginning of the game before the Florida/Purdue tip-off, and then a few minutes more between commercial breaks during garbage time. Why can't my Ducks get no respect from CBS? Is it just the uniforms? Or didn't Nike buy enough advertising this year?

Only nine of my teams made it through to the Sweet Sixteen, but they include all of my Final Four picks, and seven of my Elite Eight...so I'm still feeling pretty good about my bracket. And the truth be told, I would much rather see Kansas and USC advance than Kentucky and Texas. See what I get for picking with my head rather than my heart? My former wife is a Jayhawk, and I have earned degrees from three different Pac-10 schools -- so I picked against them just to keep my sentimentality under control, and now I'm wishing I'd had more sense. Meanwhile, Cinderella UNLV (if you can call a seventh seed a "Cinderella") has a lovely father/son human interest story...but I'm still looking forward to watching Oregon run them out of the gym. And if I'd known that graduate students retained their NCAA eligibility, maybe I would have walked on at Harvard myself 25 years ago!

But what's really killing me are the Bud Light commercials. The "Rock-Paper-Scissors" spot is so offensive I will never purchase an Anheiser-Busch product again so long as I live (and may even have to give up rooting for the Cardinals), while the one about the hitchhiking chainsaw killer really isn't that much better. Who thinks of these things? And who thinks they're funny? Drunks...that's who. Drunks. And probably underage Drunks at that. Just a little something to think about next time you're thinking about consuming an adult beverage. Sam Adams or Amstel Light if you must. But life is too short to drink bad beer, so treat yourself to a REAL microbrew, and leave the p**s water in the toilet where it belongs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home