Monday, April 30, 2007

Troubled but Talented?

OK, I don't usually write about professional (American) football -- and especially things like "transactions" and the NFL draft. The whole enterprise just sort of annoys and disgusts me on a deeply visceral level...that is, when I bother to think about it at all. But all of this business about the Randy Moss trade is actually kind of entertaining. So far this morning I've heard Moss characterized as having "bad attitude" and a "poor work ethic," as well as being "controversial" and...well, you get the picture even if you haven't been watching them yourselves.

But here's the deal. Giving up the (presumably) 110th most talented college player of 2007 in exchange for a 10-year veteran receiver of his accomplishments who can still run forty yards in 4.29 seconds is a steal. And I don't really care that he's been known to smoke a little pot, or even that he had an unfortunate run-in with a traffic cop while high; and I'm actually kind of amused that he once pretended to drop his pants in the end zone in order to taunt some opposing fans. And I'm VERY impressed by how much money he was willing to give up in order to come to a winning team. That college kid probably wouldn't have made the squad anyway. And Randy Moss is, well, Randy Moss. Anyway, that's my opinion on the football news of the day. As if I didn't have anything more important to do....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home