Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sweating the Rust Out

Oh Lord. Away from the gym for almost two weeks (and nearly slept through last night's run as well -- after trying to slip in a quick nap after the drive home from my sucessful eleven-day job interview in Maine); arrived just in time to become the tenth player, which meant minimal warm-up time and no shots at the basket. And I started out TERRIBLY -- made an ugly turnover, and couldn't follow my man through a baseline screen...made all the more annoying because I had to listen to "Curly" carp about it in his inimitable way. But it got a little easier after I loosened up a bit: made several VERY nice assists that resulted in ridiculously easy baskets for my teammates (and had the added benefit of making Curly look stupid, beaten and confused as well), and knocked down a medium range "J" from the foul line area and a little jump hook right in front of the basket as well...both from extra passes when one of my teammates drew a double-team. Never did find my regular shooting touch from beyone the arc though, but since it's been missing in action for months now, I didn't really miss it much either. And mostly it felt great just to get out and run again.

Meanwhile, did check out a couple of gyms Down East -- the Portland YMCA and the South Portland Rec Center (where there is a regular Sunday afternoon over-30 run). And I'm sure I've just scratched the surface of what I hope is a pretty dynamic local pick-up hoop scene. Lots of playgound ball too this time of year, and there seem to be courts everywhere. New job is right behind Portland High School, and just one block from the Boys and Girls Club...so I may even have to think about trying my hand at coaching again. But it's also a lot "younger" community in general than way out here in the 'burbs -- which means that I'm probably going to have my hands full trying to keep up. But what the hell. It's only a game, right?

I will miss my friends here in Massachusetts though. I've been playing with these same guys for almost four years now, and in all that time I've gotten to know them pretty well. And, so far as I can tell, there is nothing in Portland to match the Boston Sports Club in Waltham, which is where I go to work out and shoot around. I'm REALLY going to miss that gym, and expecially the sauna and jacuzzi there. But I still have another month before I go. So I guess I'd better get my money's worth while I can....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home